Monday, December 17, 2007

The "Drops" of Life

The "Drops" of Life

~December 18-2007

My Dearest Family and Friends:

Ok 1st Sheryl Stats:
Still Beautiful being "Guang Toe" (Bald)
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 120
Skin Color: Is back to normal from her knuckles to her finger tips (the rest is fairly dark)
Feet: Color is better and swelling is down quite a bit
WBC (White Blood Cells): 1.5 -- "Boo How" -- Normal should be 4-10 (Your immune system) Has gone down a lot
RBC (Red Blood Cells): 2.7 -- Has also gone backwards (For your energy levels)
Right leg: Swelling has been reduced by about 1 inch in the past 48 hours
Blog Clots: Several have dissolved but several have become fibrous
(Fibrous is serious business- they are the kind that harden and stop blood flow)

Remedy:

  • I soak her leg 2 X a day- as hot as can be
  • Legs are both elevated 24/7
  • Blood Thinners and other IV's (Again both are in her feet above the ankle)
  • Injections of some drugs ? to up her WBC and RBC
    (It will take some time to have these both go up naturally) Several Months
  • Massages on her right leg, feet and her hands approx. 7 X a day
    A whole new meaning to waiting on someone hand and foot!!!
  • 1 good massage everyday (Yes, I have the privilege of doing all the soaking and massaging)
  • I try not to sing and dance for her - instead thank goodness for I-Pods, and for my sweet daughter Shayna for loading it up with many books and music (especially the music) Pretty much all Christmas music right now. The song "I'll be home for Christmas if only in my dreams" seems to really resonate this year!
  • Scriptures - and lots of prayers

Drops:
Well as you all know my last name is "WarDROP" which means I understand about Drops better than most people. I have been referred to as little dripdrop, gumdrop, and just dripdrop. Being away from all of our family and friends especially this time of year we have become the "Teardrops!!" Sometimes the teardrops have come because of pain- as in every time they have to find a new IV location for Sheryl because the disease has hardened her skin so much that it is very painful. Teardrops for being away from our family (Children.) Teardrops because of the kindness you have all shown our family. Teardrops from the many E-mails we have received from you. Teardrops because of all the kindness that the Chinese Doctors and nurses have shown us. Teardrops because of the love Sheryl and I show to each other. Teardrops because of the tender mercies that seem like they happen everyday. Teardrops because of the many mighty miracles that we have experienced - witnessed and felt. Teardrops because of our Savior's love for us- our children. As we have prayed like never before- read the scriptures with new eyes the teardrops roll off our cheeks with gratitude - peace and happiness for all of our many blessing that we have.

I have a middle name- and now so does my last name War TEAR drop!! During this Christmas time Sheryl and I can choose to focus on ourselves and not being with our children and feel sorry for ourselves- which is the natural man. But this Christmas we have the privilege of just focusing on our Savior with no distractions that usually come with this time of the year. It is a lot easier to focus on all the many things He has done for us and continues to do for us. Let me describe our room to you - Greg Olson pictures of the Savior on one wall- our family pictures on another wall and 2 life size posters of Travis and Weston guarding Sheryl and me all night. Actually every picture of our whole family and of Sheryl and me we have given to the docs and nurses.

So, this season we will be filled with teardrops of joy for all the blessings we have. Thank you again for all that you do for us in prayer- in fasting- in temple attendance and in service. It means so very much to us.

The Chengdu TEARDROP connection:

Lon

P.S. Have you ever seen a giraffe walk thru central park in New York? If you did you would stop and stare at this most unusual site. Well here in Chengdu when I make the prison break all the people stop and stare. I am the giraffe. I stand about 1 foot or taller than 99% of all the people. I know for most of the Chinese I am the 1st American they have ever seen in real life- and they are going to take full advantage of the look!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lon and Sheryl thank you for your example of courage, faith, and love through difficult times. I happened on to your blog while looking for you to wish you a Merry Christmas and finding that you had moved. Your recent experiences and positive outlook while dealing with difficulties have given us encouragement and great example of real love and faith. I hope all is well with you at this wonderful season. May God bless and keep you. Love Alan and Karen Wade Family

Hailey Smoot Kandell said...

We are praying for your family, thatnk you for keeping all of us in the ward updated witht his blog
Eric and Hailey KAndell