Saturday, November 10, 2007

Things in Motion

November 10, 2007

After not leaving my hospital room for 12 days my head nurse came and told me that she would be taking Lon and me to lunch. We went to my favorite restaurant here - the one with the hot pots- kind of like fondue. It was kind of my "last supper" as all of the big stuff will begin happening on Sunday. Everything up until now has just been preparation. I also knew that they would be shaving my head later in the day. Of course, I figured they'd use clippers on me, but when the barber showed up it became evident that that wasn't his plan. He got a big bowl of warm water and soaped up my hair. Then, to my alarm, he began at the crown of my head working from the back to the front using a straight edge razor! In my mind I kept repeating the words, "Be strong and of a good courage...be strong and of a good courage." I think if I hadn't been thinking those words that I would've been freaking out. So, yes, I am now completely bald. When I looked in the mirror it was quite a shock. But I'm okay. Lon has been very sweet and supportive. In a show of support, he also shaved his head and his beard which he had been growing for the past 2 weeks. (I don't mean to be rude when I say that he doesn't look much different!) My sweet head nurse who knew that this would be an emotional thing for me had her husband stop by the hospital and bring me a huge bouquet of flowers!

So, like I said, Sunday is the big day when everything gets underway. The docs from Beijing will be here and the separation of the stem cells will take place. Chemo will start on Monday. I will go into "the box" (isolation) on Sunday. My most critical time will be starting Sunday and then for the next few weeks. I'm so grateful for all of your prayers - am I greedy to ask for more? Please know that your prayers and faith and fasting are getting me through this. I feel strength beyond my own and I know where it is coming from.

On another note, we received an e-mail from our son, Elder Jason Wardrop, who is serving a mission in Goiania, Brasil. He is very sick with dengue fever and bronchitis. We are very concerned. Could you please remember him in your prayers also? Just know that the Wardrop family will be forever grateful for every prayer uttered in our behalf. We love you all so much! Your friendship and love warm our hearts. Truly we are blessed with the most wonderful friends in the world!

Love,
~Sheryl

No comments: